Monday, August 15, 2005

The VP's of the Round Table

Today I was lucky enough to sit in on my first big meeting. So ok, yes I was the youngest person there by at least...let's say...twenty years and yes I did not participate really at all. And ok so the table wasn't really round, it was a little more rectangular, but it made for a good title. Nevertheless, it was my first big meeting and I was proud to attend.

I went in rather nervous about the whole situation and worried if I was dressed nice enough (in my new green and blue flowy skirt and a white cami with a white cardigan over it...for those of you who know my wardrobe). I sat up straight, crossed my legs and sat with my pen in my hand ready to take notes on everything and anything, since everything was over my head. After sitting and paying the closest of attention to things I didn't even pretend to understand, I started to glance around the table, all Vp's or higher, highly respected in the company, and yet all two-year-olds at heart.

The first, across the table, was taking his water bottle, placing it a few feet from him and watching as the water slowly moved it closer. He repeated this action, not paying attention to the twenty-something across the table watching his playful behavior, for about 30 minutes. Next to him, a man who had put his chair so low to the ground he appeared to be sitting on the floor with only his head popping above the table. Keep in mind this gentlemen was probably 6 feet 2 inches tall and was sitting across from a girl 5 feet tall and yet towering over him. The administrative assistant sitting to his left, walking in and out of the room, cleaning her rings with a napkin and staring into space, taking notes once in awhile. Each employee around the table made me feel more and more like this is the place for me. Each employee made me comfortable in the office. Each employee made me feel like maybe this wasn't the time for me to start acting like an adult.

So NO, I will not take the dice off my rear view window, NO I will not replace the cry me a river ringer on my phone, and NO I will not grow up just because I am working nine to five!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home