Hootie Can Dance!
This is going to be a two part blog, since it has been so long, since I last published anything.
Part 1: I probably told many of you, but I won tickets to see Hootie and the Blowfish, Better Than Ezra, and Vertical Horizon on the radio. You all know how much I love to call in to the
radio station. Anyway, I ended up being the grand prize winner, getting an awesome digital camera and getting to go up close to take pictures of the band. I had a great time and looked adorable if I do say so myself (it was a halloween theme and I am a 1920's gangster). So I took the metro by myself, had some drinks at a bar in DC, and took pictures of Hootie. By the way, yes the title of my blog is very true; Darius Rutgers, better known as Hootie, has some serious moves! I believe this night solidified me as a city girl, who can definitely party with the best of them. The costumes at the party were great, and I am sorry I do not
have pictures of them, but I will mention a few special ones. There were a few guys dressed as referees who threw their flags at anyone without a costume. There was Bucky Badger, yes all the way in DC, who was up in the VIP section. I would have taken a picture with him if I could have. Then there was the guy that was dressed as a tree. If I had only one complaint about this night it would be him, because being the short girl I am, I could not see over his branches. The moral of this part of my story is, I am so lucky to have gotten this night to break away from the nine to five and see an amazing concert close up, which brings me to the second part.Part 2: Hootie and the Blowfish have a new song out, which they performed that night. The title escapes me at the moment, but it is something about love always remaining constant in our lives. Now I remember the title; its "One Love"...I think. Anyway there is a line in the song that says "I can't see the forest for all the frustrations". I did not think anything of this line, except that it was nice play on an old saying, until I applied it to my own life. I have been out here for more than 3 months now, I know hard to believe, and the whole time I have been waiting for a sign that this was the right path for me. Noah said that the fact that I won tickets to such a wonderful concert was a sign, but I could not see it. I was searching for my "Brett Alan" or a moment at work where my intelligence would be truly tested. So maybe signs don't have to be the same for all places you live. Maybe the fact that the love of my life is out here, that a job that supports me is out here, and that my family supports my every decision is a sign. Maybe I should start seeing that instead of the disappointments or the "bumps" that have come along. I went home the other weekend to my cousin's wedding and nothing went wrong.
There was not one bump in the entire weekend; the plane was on time, the shuttle picked me up right away, the wedding was such a great time, and all of my family was there for me to enjoy! I, being the incredibly pessimistic person I have become, took that as a sign that maybe I should be in the Midwest. Instead, I am going to turn my mind around and look at the forest! I love my apartment, I have friends that care enough to call and read this blog as to keep in touch with me, my family is willing to visit me whenever I need them to (and is able to take a vacation at the same time), and I am living my dream! I am out here by myself, supporting myself, and enjoying my "me time". Today for the first time since I have been here I accomplished everything I wanted to in one day, and I am proud of that! So it is my choice, and you can force this back at me when I am in a bad mood, but I am going to start acting like a grown up and stop throwing hissy fits because not everything goes my way. I will have more days like the one I had today!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home